Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 36

"Plastic flowers"
OK, so these aren't plastic but they do kinda look plastic. It's some shrub in the yard and I have no idea what it is, but when I was taking pictures today these flowers reminded me of something else from my childhood that I thought I'd share with y'all.
My daddy is a retired Baptist preacher. When I was elementary school age, we lived in the parsonage of the church he was pastor of. There were two roads that intersected at a 4-way stop, so you can sort of picture four sections of property. In one section was the church, another was the cemetery, another was our house, and the fourth was a pasture. My mama would keep a few kids after school and sometimes we would play out in the cemetery. Now we didn't damage anything or act all bad like some of you might already be thinking. Behind the cemetery was an area where people could throw the old flowers and whenever the men from the church would get together to mow grass and clean up the cemetery they would gather those and take them to the dump. So what us "younguns" would do is sort through the garbage pile and pick out the best plastic flowers we could find to put on the graves that didn't have any flowers on them!

1 comment: